Wednesday, April 11, 2012

New Book and Vampire Spotting

SO today I went to the school library expecting to pick up the usual murder mystery novel or, as I'm more prone to do, check out a book I've read a million times because I'm incapable of finding something good that isn't full of teenage angst and sparkling vampires.

I happened to look at the graphic novel section to find that they STILL haven't managed to include anything but Naruto and other well known shonen manga in their dismal selection. Not to say there's anything wrong with shonen. I like shonen. My favorite manga in the whole world is Rurouni Kenshin and I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'll defend it to the end. But they don't even have good shonen(or manga period). There is one copy of the fifth volume of Hellsing in there somewhere...which is awesome because, you know, Dracula, but other than that...nothing.

Anyhoo, I chanced upon a book sitting on one of the shelves called Jack the Ripper: Comprehensive A to Z. This just about made my day. It seems very informative and I believe it contains 16 essays on the numerous theories surrounding the story. I haven't started anything except the list of dates of important events pertaining to the case, but I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

The only problem I have with learning about Jack the ripper (Or heck, even hearing him mentioned) is that I don't imagine someone like this...

Pretty convincing ripper if you ask me.


But as a result of watching Kuroshitsuji, I see this...


Black Butler's idea of the ripper...
Considering Grell is a flamboyantly gay, insane Shinigami(essentially a grim reaper) with a penchant for chainsaws and stalking handsome butlers you can see how my mind's image of our old friend Jack is somewhat changed. Don't get me wrong...I love Grell to death (I'm cosplaying him for Halloween actually) and this anime is littered with gothy undertones which makes me love it more....
but...
...
...
...let me give you one more image to sum up the extent of this "ripper's" personality...

Sometimes there are just no words.




So hopefully I'll be able to banish the thought of Grell from my mind and simply enjoy the contents of the book. Wish me luck! Now, this post is becoming filled with things of the Japanese persuasion which wasn't my intention. I might be a little obsessed ...let's move on shall we?

I spotted a vampire! Would you believe me if I said I saw Lestat at school? Well, not really but...close enough. We had students from Cambridge and Rollins visit. They held a series of mini debates in our auditorium (to prepare for a debate at a nearby college later that night on the "stand your ground" law.) The first guy from Cambridge was the spitting image of Lestat. I kid you not. What caught me was the hair. It was long and blonde and just screamed Lestat.

 We all remember Lestat's hair right?

I hope he didn't notice me staring in awe...
You could speak to the debate teams after school but I couldn't because I would have missed my bus. Its probably a good thing though... Not everybody would consider being compared to a homicidal (and charming!) vampire a compliment, and I think I might have gotten a few strange looks when time came to ask for a picture...

As for the actual debates, I got to see two of them. The first one was a little more personal as it dealt with dress code and freedom of expression. I was a little biased because I'm already against some of the rules at our school (No tanktops. You might see a *gasp* shoulder. Its not like we live in Florida or anything) so I agreed with Rollins though Cambridge probably argued the point better. The second one I saw had to do with cutting off foreign development money in order to secure more women's rights in the Middle East. Cambridge just wiped the floor with Rollins. Must have been some kind of vampire hypnosis. 

What I don't understand is how people can be so rude. I don't care if you're bored. Some of us are actually enjoying the debates, believe it or not, and your manners are a distraction to the people on stage and your fellow classmates. As a general rule here are some things not to do when in an audience...

  • Yell across the room to friends. Whispering quietly to a friend seated next to you is not the same as waving your hands about your head and calling their name as loud as humanly possible. How could this not be distracting?
  •  Continue to enter and exit the auditorium frequently. Ok I understand if you've got an urgent need to use the bathroom, we've all gotta pee at some point, but those doors were slamming nonstop and I know there weren't that many of us in there. Please for everyone elses sake, stay in or out.
  •  Eat food. I love food as much as anyone else but crinkling chip bags are irritating to no end. You can't help but leave crumbs in the seats and then there are the people who just throw their wrappers on the ground. Someone does have to pick that up you know...
  • This last one should be obvious but...don't be on your phone. Its beyond rude when the people on the stage should have your attention and you're babbling on about who broke up with who and how the guy on stage has "the sexiest British accent". (Technically wouldn't Americans have the "accent" anyway?)

Well I apologize for the mini-rant...
I hope you all have had a lovely day :)
Until next time~






2 comments:

  1. If you like graphic novels and are interested in Jack the Ripper, I highly recommend the graphic novel "From Hell" by Alan Moore. Recently read it and fell in love with it! It's a bit of a brick of a book (572 pages!!) but I just love it. Not only is it about Jack the Ripper, but it just takes place in a dark, not-so-glamorous Victorian setting. There are also some other historical events thrown in, too.

    And yay for vampires :-3 I wish there were some more vampire-esque peeps in my part of the world (Midwestern America. Can I get a sarcastic yay?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely amazing! :D I'll go check it out right away! Hopefully there's a library nearby that has it though, because my ever-growing list of books to buy isn't helping me turn around my dismal money situation...
      And awwwww I promise to send a vampire your way if I see one ^.^

      Delete