Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Don't Mock Goths: Future's Bright for the Men and Women in Black

Right now I'm trying to distract myself from the sound of my shoes in the washer. "Shoes in the washer" you gasp? Fret not, its just an old pair of converse I found lying around that I thought I might spice up for casual days. Right now it sounds like...well I don't even know what it sounds like. Kind of like one of those full-fledged battles in The Lord of the Rings is being fought inside my house.

After those are done I'm going to go dye that black skirt like I said I would weeks ago and then I've got to finish shoving safety pins through my new jacket. Impressive DIY skills no? Seriously, I'm pretty useless when it comes to editing things though I do try. I'm learning how to sew a little at the moment which makes me extremely proud of myself. If you were as bad at practical things as I am you would understand. I'm pretty good at taking things apart though. Hehe...

Anyway, I was browsing the interwebz like I normally do when bored out of my skull, and I found a very interesting article called Don't Mock Goths: Future's bright for the men and women in black. It was certainly well-informed in most aspects and its nice to find something speaking positively of the subculture considering how much negativity there is. The article defends goths, saying that they're often very educated because of the value they place on learning (very true) and that many land good jobs. It goes on to give a brief explanation of the start of the movement and several "goth" bands. (THE CURE!! eep!) Overall it was a well-written, intelligent article with maybe only one or two minor flaws.

You can read the article  here

There's a similar one I also like, that I believe Amy over at Stripy Tights and Dark Delights might have posted a while ago, but here it is again just in case anyone missed it. I disagree with the suggestion that "punks grow out of it" because that's not necessarily true, but don't let that throw you off because its a pretty good article.

If there are any young gothlings like myself out there reading this, who have parents that are unsure or nervous about you getting into the scene, show them these articles. It might help put their minds at ease. Or will at least convince them you're not going out and sacrificing small children when the moon is full (I would hope).

On that cheery note I'll take my leave and leave you with a lovely picture~

By MorriganTheSink on Deviantart






No comments:

Post a Comment