Monday, February 11, 2013

Good Omens and The Lies of Locke Lamora

Surprise, surprise I've got more book recommendations! No vampires this time I'm afraid. Just thieves and angels and demons, which honestly should satisfy all of you ^^


I'm going to start with the one that's more likely to have been read by everyone. I read it years ago myself, but forgot just how wonderful it really was. It's going on here simply for the benefit of those who have possibly never read it, *gasp* and hopefully some of you haven't because then I won't feel like I'm babbling. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (See? The names alone should ensure that most have you have picked up this lovely book) is about a demon and angel. They've been thwarting and manipulating and blessing and the like for thousands of years and have come to grow very fond of earth, and through extension of an arrangement they have, each other. So when the Apocalypse looms near they're hardly pleased, to say the least. Of course, they can hardly go against the ineffable plan can they? They're likely to be roasted by their respective superiors if they do anything that screams blatant interfering. So of course the only option is to subtlety manipulate the Antichrist from childhood so that no apocalypse is ever triggered. And then of course, someone goes and loses the Antichrist.
I'm afraid I don't know who to credit this lovely fanart to.

Throw in the four motorcycle riding horsemen of the apocalypse and the prophesies of some nutty witch and you're in for one wacky book that's a bit of reminiscent of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Albeit, even more fantastic.) The plot alone is enough to read this book for, but then you've got Crowley (The suave demon, who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards, with the snakeskin shoes and strange tendency to hiss when overexcited) and Aziraphale, (the dear, dusty, bookish angel) who exchange banter that makes you want to fall over in a fit of giggles. Basically, I might have been wasting my time by typing all of this, but it's completely worth it because on the slim chance you've really never read this then you need to pick it up pronto. You won't be disappointed.


The next book is called The Lies of Locke Lamora and it's about a thief. Or, I suppose more a small group of con artists who steal for the fun of it. Locke is the leader of this little gang, called The Gentlemen Bastards, and he's been living on the streets since he was small. There are two storylines in the book; the one that outlines Locke's past and how he became a first rate thief and "The Thorn of Camorr", and the other dealing with the huge scam their pulling at the moment. Of course, this book has plots within plots, so when the mysterious Gray King begins terrorizing the criminals of the city Locke is bound to get caught up in the convoluted schemes. My favorite part of the book was the world it was set in. The old city houses wonder upon wonder, the beautiful image hiding the underlying cruelty, where bloody shark fights are an everyday sport and unattended children are sold into slavery left and right. Alchemy has huge sway as does the worship of several Gods. Think alien, medieval Venice.

Well there you are! Two new books to read and I hope you enjoy them if you haven't read them already. Here's my outfit post for today~



****If you've no interest in Batman- movies, comics or otherwise, then here is a good place for you to stop reading because I'm about to rant a little about pretty villains ;)

So I was just rewatching Batman Begins. Partly because it's a really good movie, partly because I'm obsessed with the Batman franchise, and partly because oh dear is Dr. Crane pretty. I mean, really. And that dark hair and those glasses? Instant crush from the moment I saw him. It doesn't help that Scarecrow is so close to rivaling Joker for my favorite comics villains of all time and that he's so psychologically fascinating. (I love his back story too. Villains always have such depth compared to the heroes don't you think?)


Anyway, I'd forgotten how much I really loved Nolan's new, darker and realistic take on the franchise. I love how he set the movie when Crane is just starting out on his path to becoming Scarecrow with the early experiments. Though I'm always disappointed that he doesn't have more scenes, what with Ra's Al Ghul being the focus. It's such a shame there are only three movies. I would have loved to see The Riddler redeemed after *shudders* Jim Carey played him.... And same goes for Mr. Freeze, because Arnold Schwarzenegger? Was that really necessary? Of course, with Heath Ledger's unfortunate passing Harley will remain out of the movies, but there were opportunities for so many other villains. Oh well I've always got my lovely comics~

7 comments:

  1. J love those books, they are both among my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a book rec for you : "Little Star" by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Brilliant Swedish horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I'll definitely go check that out :D Thanks :)

      Delete
    2. I´ll second that! Anything by Ajvide Lindqvist is a great read!! Handling the Undead is my favorite!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to say I haven't read Good Omens :( I only discovered Neil and Terry in the past couple of years (22 years old and I'd never read either before maybe 2011/12 shocking) however I did recently buy it and it's on my to-read shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply HAVE to read it! As soon as you can! You definitely won't be disappointed :D

      Delete